Saturday 24 September 2022

Not Always Greener

I pulled up outside my old house and sighed. I can't believe it's really been a month. I thought it was going to be a breeze. Hell, I even thought I'd conveniently misplace the brooch, and never go back. But modern teen life definitely wasn't how I imagined it would be. I'm almost glad to be going back to living my old life, even if it wasn't exciting. It was a mistake to consider playing out my fantasy. At least I know Brent is going to be pleased to get back to his own life too...

I knocked on the front door, and was a little dismayed when Frank opened the door. It was strange to see him after a full month. It was crazy how much I missed his beautiful face, his warm touch... "Oh, Gerald," he said with a smile. "What a surprise! I wish you'd called ahead, I was just about to head out."

I was surprised. Didn't Brent let him know I was coming? We did mark today's date down in our phones, just in case we forgot. I smiled and nodded, saying, "Don't worry, I just came by to see my uncle. We have things to discuss."

"He's outside in his usual spot," Frank replied, patting me on the shoulder as he left. I shuddered at his touch, I couldn't wait for things to get back to normal. He turned on his heel, then added, "If you stick around for dinner, I'm making my famous meatloaf."

I waved him goodbye, knowing I would definitely be around for dinner. His meatloaf really was the best. I couldn't wait to sit at the dinner table with him, gossiping about the neighbors, and complaining about work. It's the little things you miss... 

Then I walked through the house, until I found Brent resting in a fold-up chair, back against the shed in the backyard, and smoking a cigar. I cringed at the sight a little. He looked rather serene, enjoying one of life's pleasures. It wouldn't be long until I was in his position once again. I gave a little tap on the shed to get his attention. He glanced my way, then cracked into a large grin. "Gerald!" He cried in a jovial tone. "It's great to see you, man. Get over here!" Oh yeah. He's definitely ready. I followed his lead and allowed myself to be pulled into a bear hug. "So, what brings you to my neck of the woods?"

I blinked rapidly, a little confused. "Uhm, the whole life swap thing?"

"Oh. That." He slumped his shoulders, and fell back into his lawn chair. "Has it really been a month already? That just flew by..."

"As much as it pains me to give up this cozy, youthful life, we did make a deal." I pulled the ceremonial brooch out from my inside jacket pocket, its jade coating shimmering in the sunlight, and placed it on the patio table. "Let's get the hard part over with, so you can get back to your fun-filled life."

"Yeah, about that..." Brent leaned back in his chair, took a long drag of his cigar, savoring its flavor. Then he dropped the bombshell. "I don't want to swap back."

I felt a cold numbness sweep through me. "You...You don't..." I stammered, trying to make sense of the situation.

"That's right, I don't want to go back to being seventeen just yet. I'm quite happy to stay in my position so you can make the most of your newfound youth."

"But... The deal was..."

"I know, we agreed on a month. But you were so desperate to get us to swap in the first place, I figured you wouldn't mind a little extra time. Maybe even on a permanent basis." Then he leaned forwards and said in a low growl, "like you said, it would pain you to give it up, right?"

My head was swimming. "Y-yeah, I guess I did... But it wouldn't be fair on you! You're over fifty now, that's a lot of life to give up just to satisfy my desire to be young, right? Wouldn't you rather take it all back?"

Brent shook his head. "Time is relative, it doesn't matter whether I live those years, or you do. For now, I'm perfectly content in my middle age. The question is, are you content?" As he said this, he blew a mouthful of smoke into my face with a slight chuckle. "Don't tell me Mister Young Again doesn't want to be young again?"

I grimaced. "I may have stretched the truth a little..." Brent leaned back in his chair once more, unable to hide his smug reaction. "In fact, the past month didn't go as I would have liked..."

"Being a teenager wasn't as care-free and easygoing as you wanted, huh?"

"I suppose I misremembered my teen years." I scratched at the back of my neck, a little awkward having to say it out loud. "I forgot I was quite the late bloomer, so nobody wants to hang out with me. I get mocked by the cool kids for being so underdeveloped. I don't understand half of what's popular at the moment, so I'm pretty much a loner. And education has changed so much since I was at school, I'm struggling to keep up in classes. I'm not cool, I'm not smart, I'm not anything... I just want to be regular, old Gerald again. Surely you want to be regular, young Brent, too?"

Brent listened to my woes, and silence fell between us as he casually puffed on his cigar, and stroked his scruffy chin in thought. After a minute, he sighed, and said, "When you proposed we swap the first time around, I was apprehensive. I didn't want to give up decades of my life just so you could live out a fantasy, and have a second chance at life. You were my favorite uncle, but it wouldn't be worth it. Even when we settled on only living each other's lives for a month, I still didn't want to do it. Yet you pricked my finger with that brooch before I was ready. Aging over three decades in a few minutes was scary... Something I'm in no rush to experience again. I wouldn't wish that on anybody."

"I'm sorry I put you through that... But that doesn't-"

"Those first few days weren't fun," Brent interrupted. He waved a hand up and down his body. "Look at me, I'm not exactly a catch. I went from an average teen to an average middle-aged man. I'd lost my hair, and gained unwanted body hair. I'd lost my boundless energy, and gained a dad bod. I felt tired and achy no matter how much rest I had. I was a completely different person, and it sucked. But as I settled into your daily routine, I realized something. I actually enjoyed being older. Working at the office is so easy, especially compared with school. I love spending nights in, cuddled up on the couch watching Netflix. I love poker night every Saturday, and brunch every Sunday. And most importantly, I love being with Frank. I love holding him, and kissing him, and making love to him. He's my rock, and I wouldn't dream of giving up my life with him."

"No... That's my life, my love..." I felt my chest tightening. It wasn't supposed to go this way! "This isn't fair..."

"It isn't. But remember, you wanted this. You wanted to give up everything that's good about your life, so you could be young and relive your glory days again. But now I call the shots. This time, I'm not bending to your whim. We're not swapping back. You'll have to find some other chump willing to trade his life for a chance at youth. They're a dime a dozen downtown."

"I can't, it has to be a blood relative... Please, you're my only option here."

"Why don't you try my dad? I'm sorry, I mean your dad," Brent suggested as he stubbed out his cigar on the table. "Otherwise, tough luck, kid." He pulled himself out of his chair, walked past me, and back towards the house. "Now, are you going to come in for dinner, or are you going to mope some more? Frank's going to make meatloaf."

"I think I'll continue to dwell on the awful decisions I've made, thank you..."

"Suit yourself." Brent left me alone, and I snatched the brooch off the table. The pin pricked my thumb as my grip tightened around it, yet there was nobody to complete the ritual with. I was stuck in a world I barely understood. If only I appreciated what I already had...

1 comment:

  1. Great and fun story. Always a delight to see an update from you!

    ReplyDelete